Optimizing images for the Web means reducing its file size which in turn will make it load faster on websites. Grab some specialty coffee and follow these simple instructions.
Reducing the image size with GIMP
To reduce the image size:
- Open image in GIMP.
- Click on Image in the toolbar, then select Scale Image.
- In the image size, change the width to 1920px (or your own width)
- Select Scale
- Select File in the toolbar. Then select Export As.
- Name to your file ending with a “.jpg”
- Select Export
- In dialog box that opens, change Quality to 60.
- Click Advanced Options.
- Change Subsampling to 4:2:0 (chroma quartered)
- Click Export
Feel free to adjust settings to meet your image quality needs.
Contact me if you have any questions.